Safe and Sound plus other stuff on this crazy day

Some days just seem to go off kilter. I woke up this morning feeling a little anxious about Ryan and the timing of his arrival. But the morning went well. We heard from him about 8:15. He was at the airport in Atlanta about to board a flight to Chicago. My daughter would be able to pick up! This was very exciting. She hasn’t seen him since he was home 10 months ago, before he was deployed to Afghanistan. So. Very exciting that she could get him.

So, I exercised and showered and did some work, and prepared for my lunch meeting and afternoon meeting. She took off to get Ryan. And that’s when everything began to unravel.

Not bad, just little anxious things. All day. First. The airport is under construction. Signage is bad. She got turned around and couldn’t get back to the correct parking lot nor to the arrivals. She called me panicked. I talked her down, all the while wishing I had gone with…sigh…even and 19 I want to do for her…but she managed to get herself back around and to arrivals. Not an easy feat in Chicago when the entire highway system around the airport is also under construction with exits closed and entrances blocked. But she did.

She called again to say she had been waiting at arrivals for a while and couldn’t find him. We were worried about her getting a ticket because the Chicago police will ticket you while you sit there waiting to pick someone up. But finally she saw him and he saw her.

I got to see Ryan for 3 seconds between the time he arrived here and I left for my meeting. It was a lovely lunch with a young mom and her 19 month adopted son from Guatemala. But it took a long time. I had to rush from there to the pet store for dog food and then to the 3:00pm meeting I was hosting. That meeting lasted longer than anticipated and I arrived home to an anxious husband. Our son left his sweater at school with his Mp3 player in the pocket. He needed a ride back. SO. off we went. But no luck, it’s gone. More anxiety. He’d only had it for two weeks. It took all our spare income to get it. It will not be easy to replace. Won’t happen any time soon. Sigh. He feels bad. I feel bad. My husband had to rush off to work, feeling bad. And on top of it, it seems he did not know I had that 3:00 meeting so he’s been anxiously waiting for me to come home from the lunch…sigh…I could swear I told him. But no. I think he and I have got to figure out how to communicate amongst all of our busyness. Because we don’t need anymore angst than we have. Certainly not from little things we can manage, like confirming schedules.

Anyway. My daughter is at work. Ryan is off doing who knows what, but he’s here safe and sound. My son is grieving. I feel bad about my son, my husband, and my day….. Some days just go off kilter. And now it’s about to rain so the dogs won’t get walked…sigh.

I hope your day was better.


About Terri C Pilarski

I am an Episcopal priest serving a delightfully progressive, interesting, creative congregation. I have been married more than half my life to the same man. We have two grown children, plus two dogs and two cats, although the number of four legged household members changes from time to time. I love to garden, knit, read, and play on Facebook or with my blog. I have been a practitioner of daily meditation since I was nineteen. I practice yoga five days a week and walk every where I am able too.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Safe and Sound plus other stuff on this crazy day

  1. Ahhh, I’m sorry about your day … and very glad Ryan is home safe and sound. Eat that chocolate, and brethe -:) and here’s to a better day tomorrow. (how ’bout a message board by the refrigerator for each day’s schedules?)

  2. spelling patrol says it should say: “breathe”

  3. mompriest says:

    Usually we are really good about communicating schedules, but it seems to be getting more complex, so we may need to adapt to a system like you suggest. We actually have a message board on the fridge, but it has Ryan’s phone number overseas (LOL) – which is a long series of numbers across the entire board…just need to write that someplace else and use the board for daily schedules….I’m glad you drop by, ‘cuz I miss your voice…

  4. mompriest says:

    Oh. And I never got around to the tea and dark chocolate, but much later I had deep dish pizza with spinach and candian bacon and a glass of white wine. Ryan was there and one of my daughter’s girl friends, and my son. Husband and daughter are still working. But the rest of us got to talk. so. yes. things are better.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s