Please answer these five questions about pie:
Songbird, over at RevGals had gifts of pie for Thanksgiving. From that delightful experience she offers this Friday Five:
1) Are pies an important part of a holiday meal? It depends on the holiday. If it’s MY birthday I prefer chocolate cake (well, you know, in families our birthdays are holi-days, right?). BUT otherwise I’m trying to think of a holiday when pie is not important….maybe Valentine’s Day – again chocolate cake, or just chocolates? But all the others I love pie – in the summer berry pies – blueberry or raspberry or peach! In the fall apple or pumpkin, or my latest favorite – apple, pear, cranberry pie! (I’ve made this for the last couple of years and it is a fabulous blend of sweet and tart, and oh so colorful!
2) Men prefer pie; women prefer cake. Discuss. Nope. Not in my household. We all love both.
3) Cherries–do they belong in a pie? Sure. I’m not terribly fond of cherry pie – but that is mostly because I always prefer to use fresh fruit and there is no way I am going to pit all that fruit. But I do love cherries!
4) Meringue–if you have to choose, is it best on lemon or chocolate? We are not big fans, in my home, of cream pies. Unless it is my husband’s birthday when I always make a banana cream pie – but that’s with whipped cream…meringue? I do love lemon but it doesn’t agree with me…so, I guess meringue on lemon, whipped cream on chocolate…
5) In a chicken pie, what are the most compatible vegetables? Anything you don’t like to find in a chicken pie? Oh! My great grandmother made the best chicken pie. I think any veggie is good in pie – well, maybe not tomato – although I suppose sun dried might be interesting…but otherwise potatoes, celery, onion, carrots, turnips, parsnips, broccoli, asparagus….