Jan, over at RevGalBlogPals offers this Friday Five:
Today’s Friday is about babies. Tell us about babies in your life, of all kinds, even ideas! Tell us about the babies you’ve paid attention to in your life:
1. babies of family or friends: My children are twenty-five and twenty-one. I can hardly believe they are grown! Our daughter, the twenty-five year old, is getting married in July. She and her husband to be plan to have children relatively quickly. This is a big deal since my daughter spent most of her life feeling certain that she never wanted to have kids. I look forward to possibility of being a grandparent one day.
2. animal babies: Yesterday I watched with great delight, a family of baby squirrels learn how to navigate the tree outside my kitchen window. They were tiny and hilarious and ever so brilliant doing what comes natural to them. Left me in awe of the potential inherent in creation.
3. babies you remember in movies or on tv: Well I am watching “Parenthood” on television and the struggle of one male member of the family to adjust to his new role as a father of a newborn baby girl – who only wants her momma. Infants require so much care and hard work and guess work to figure out how to respond to seemingly endless crying. Brings back many memories of my two when they were infants.
4. babies in the Bible: Moses? Jesus? the wrestling of Jacob and Esau? the children of Jacob, Leah, and Rachel? Stories of struggle and challenge, and gift.
5. anything that may be a “baby” arising in your own life: For the time being I seem to be in grown-up years. No doubt grown-ups can be infantile at times, requiring similar responses as I gave to my children. However, “Because I said so” rarely worked then and never does now. 🙂